Please call the Consumer Protection Hotline at 1-800-351-4889, click the link below for the electronic consumer complaint form, or click the link under "More Resources" for the printable consumer complaint form. If submitting electronically, please submit using the "Submit" button at the bottom of the form. If submitting a printed copy of the form, and/or if you have additional documentation, please submit those documents separately to the address below and include the printed copy of your complaint.
Office of the Attorney General
Consumer Protection Section
P.O. Box 94005
Baton Rouge, LA 70804-9005
Fax: (225) 326-6499
The Consumer Protection Section acts on behalf of Louisiana consumers at large when a business is operating unfairly or deceptively. However, we realize that individual disputes can arise in business transactions and that many problems may be resolved through improved communications. Our mediators will try to resolve complaints between an individual consumer and a business. Please read this information carefully before you file your complaint.
Our office handles complaints regarding: automobiles, telemarketing, landlord & tenant, credit issues, collection agencies, home improvement and construction, home appliances and furnishings, health clubs, travel, charitable solicitations, sweepstakes, work-at-home programs and multilevel marketing/business opportunities.
Our office does not handle complaints regarding: utility companies, cable companies, cellular telephones, insurance claims, elected or public officials, state or municipal agencies, child support claims, employee - employer disputes, or licensed professionals (doctors, dentist, attorneys, etc.). If we receive a complaint that we cannot handle, we will refer it to the proper agency.
We cannot act as your private attorney. If you need legal assistance, we will recommend that you contact a private attorney or legal aid organization. We cannot give legal advice or act as your private attorney.
Once we receive your complaint:
- You will receive a letter from our office acknowledging receipt of your complaint.
- We will notify the business, in writing, of your complaint.
- We ask the business to respond to your complaint within two weeks.
- When we receive a response from the business, we will send you a copy.
- If the business does not respond to our office within four weeks, our office will notify you.
- If your complaint remains unresolved, you may want to contact Small Claims Court or a private attorney
- Remember to allow up to four weeks for a response to your complaint.