As we begin our Christmas shopping to find the perfect toys for our little ones, the Attorney General's Office, wants to remind shoppers of the following when selecting toys:
- For children under 3, avoid toys with small parts, which can cause choking.
- Select toys to suit the age, abilities, skills and interest level of the intended child.
- For children under 8, avoid toys with sharp edges and electric toys with heating parts.
- Look for labels with age and safety advice.
- Avoid toys that have objects that can be shot or propelled.
- Avoid toys with sharp points or edges.
- Throw away the plastic wrappings on your toys immediately.
- Make sure batteries in toys are properly installed and never allow your child to sleep with a battery-operated toy.
- Teach you child to use every toy properly.
Source: Consumer Product Safety Commission